Goshorn Acupuncture is very excited to now be offering hyperbaric oxygen therapy to our patients. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is the medical use of oxygen at a pressurized environment higher than 1 atmospheric pressure. It involves breathing pure oxygen in a pressurized chamber. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a well-established and medically recognized in the treatment of many different health ailments. In a hyperbaric oxygen therapy chamber the air pressure is increased 30%, equaling 1.3 atmospheres or 10 feet below sea level. Under these conditions, your lungs can gather more oxygen than would be possible breathing pure oxygen at normal air pressure.Your blood carries this increased oxygen throughout your body. This helps fight bacteria and stimulate the release of substances called growth factors and stem cells, which promote healing. It also allows for exceptional and safe increase in tissue oxygen levels, and as a result, accelerated repair and regeneration of healthy tissue. What is hyperbaric oxygen therapy used for?
Our body's tissues need an adequate supply of oxygen to function. When tissue is injured or not functioning at full potential, hyperbaric oxygen increases the amount of oxygen our blood can carry. An increase in blood oxygen temporarily restores normal levels of blood gases & tissue function to promote our body’s ability to heal and destroy harmful bacteria and viruses.
Studies have shown a 50% increase, or more, in plasma oxygenation after just one hour of treatment in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is proven to effectively treat several medical conditions and positively aid in overall health. It has been shown to aid in:
- Boosting the immune system by destroying harmful bacteria & viruses
- Increasing the body’s metabolism & healthy detoxification
- Enhancing the natural defense of white blood cells in the blood
- Accelerated repair and enhanced regeneration of tissue
- Reducing body inflammation
- Post-surgical healing, burns, gangrene, nonhealing wounds such as diabetic foot ulcers, radiation injuries, skin grafts at risk of tissue death
- Skin or bone infections that causes tissue death
- Slowing apoptosis (cell death) therefore counteracting signs of aging.
- Decompression sickness
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Crushing injury
- Vision loss
- Brain abscess
- Arterial gas embolisms & arterial insufficiencies
The research also indicates that it aids with:
- Alzheimer's disease
- Arthritis & pain conditions
- Bell's palsy
- Brain injury
- Cerebral palsy
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Depression, anxiety & other mood disorders
- Gastrointestinal ulcers
- Heart disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson's disease
- Spinal cord injury
- Sports injury
When should someone not use hyperbaric oxygen therapy?
It is recommended that someone temporarily avoid oxygen therapy if they have a cold, the flu, a middle ear or a sinus infection. It is also not recommended during pregnancy.
How to prepare for a hyperbaric oxygen treatment:
- Please wear loose, comfortable clothing
- Shoes, jewelry, and any sharp objects should be removed before getting into the chamber
- Feel free to bring a book, laptop, phone or anything else you would like to keep you entertained during your treatment. Pillows and blankets will be provided for your comfort.
How long is a typical treatment?
The initial visit is about 90 minutes long which includes a consultation and a treatment. Follow up visits are about 1 hour long. The recommended frequency of treatments is dependent on your health ailment, severity, and your wellness goals.
Can people of all ages use hyperbaric oxygen therapy?
Yes. People of all ages can use oxygen therapy, including children. However, we recommend children under the age of 15 be accompanied with an adult inside the chamber.
For any questions about hyperbaric oxygen therapy and to find out if it would be a good fit for you, please call us at (585) 490-1415.